Pages

Friday 23 July 2010

H800: Week 23 - A5: Reading Jones

Article: Jones (2004) Networks and learning: communities, practices and the metaphor of networks.

Just posted a rather tetchy forum post in response to this activity:

"I'm afraid that when I read papers like this I get rather cross. I'm sure such papers have their place amongst philosophers and intellectuals, but personally I am just trying to make sense of the issues surrounding technology-enhanced learning. To me, the paper does not identify very clear objectives, nor does it seem to reach any meaningful conclusions. It seems to be another example of "musings in the bath" in which the author gathers together the thoughts of various different authors but doesn't manage to present a coherent argument.

Apologies if that sounds rather cynical, but I'm struggling to get the motivation to complete the H800 activities. The course seems to have reached a point where we are thrashing around looking for another angle to examine the same issues from.

Perhaps things may become clearer with subsequent activities.

Jones' article really bugged me for some reason. As I was reading it I couldn't help thinking of Basil Fawlty's famous line about "stating the bleeding obvious"!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment